Thursday, February 17, 2011

WUJS is done (2/17)

Today was the last day of the program. Well, really, yesterday was our last full day. We've had a lot of "lasts" this past week:
Sunday, 2/6 - last Judaism class with Rachel Goldberg. So sad to leave her class.
Thursday, 2/10 - last Jewish Learning seminar.
Friday, 2/11 - last WUJS group activity - supposed to be a hike but due to inclement weather, we went BOWLING!
Friday, 2/11 - last Shabbat B'Yachad. I even cried.
Sunday, 2/13 - last time volunteering at the garden. The ladies got me a very sweet parting gift and a lovely card!
Tuesday, 2/15 - last (and first) WUJS Olympics, run by Dafna. Amazing. Seriously, one of the most fun times I've had in the last few months.
Wednesday, 2/16 - last group dinner, which happened to be at Burgers Bar (which is not my favorite) and happened to be a bit of a balagan/mess, but was fun nonetheless.

Tomorrow, Friday, 2/18 will be the last B'nei IKAR minyan I get to participate in, but this time I will be one of the drummers, which is something new. When I move out on Sunday, 2/20 it will be the last time I leave my apartment, last time I take a shower in good ole Tsipora 5, last time I use the kitchen for a meal, last time I sit on the chairs in the living room. Now I'm just getting overly sappy and sentimental. But for real, it's hard to do all of these "lasts" and all of the goodbyes.

It's hard to believe 5 months has passed so quickly and the time is really over. I've learned and experienced a lot through the program and my time in Israel, with new friends, in a new city, and although I'm sad to be leaving the program, I have a lot more to look forward to this year. In a week I leave for Europe to travel through France, Italy, Prague, and the UK. How lucky am I to have this opportunity? Many people in their lives don't even get the chance to travel abroad from their home country. Many who do travel abroad don't get the chance to come to Israel, let alone live for 5 months, or travel through so many countries in a one year time period.

I am unbelievably grateful for my experience on WUJS and being able to use this year completely 100% for myself. I'm taking in a deep breath as I unravel the next chapter of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment