Friday, February 25, 2011

What being abroad has taught me (2/25)

Being abroad has taught me...

...that I don't need TV! The only American TV show I've kept up with while I've been gone is, of course, "Grey's Anatomy." I have been able to find a commercial-less stream every week to keep up to date. I gave up on "The Biggest Loser," among many other shows. I think when I go home I'm cancelling my cable and using my $80 a month for something else.

...that language is so crucial to communication. I've had trouble communicating ideas I have, when I am speaking with someone who doesn't understand English. Likewise, someone living in Israel who speaks only Arabic and Hebrew, must have a difficult time communicating to non-native Hebrew speakers. The way that children learn and play starts with verbal language, and of course nonverbal language. But speech is so crucial to development and relationship building. Although I assumed that by the end of 5 months of living in Israel, I'd be fluent in Hebrew, that isn't the case. I want to take Hebrew classes in NYC to keep up what I've learned and continue to learn more. Israel, Judaism, and Hebrew are all going to be a major part of my life in the future, so my knowledge of the language must not go to waste.

...that the conversation about religious versus secular (in Israel or anywhere) is not even the right place to start. Both words are spoken about like they are on opposite sides of a dichotomy, which never overlaps, never meets in the middle, doesn't even have a middle. People ask others all the time, "Are you religious?" but what does that really mean - do you believe in a god, do you keep/observe Shabbat, do you keep kosher, are you shomer negiyah (not touching the opposite sex), do you pray regularly? If you really want to get to know a person and you want to see how "religious" or "secular" they are, I think a better word to use is "observant" and even so, still isolating. Truly, ask a person what you want to know - if they believe in a god, keep Shabbat, keep kosher, etc. Putting people in one particular spot of a spectrum or on one side of a dichotomy is alienating and inaccurate. The Jewish people are comprised of many kinds of Jews who do and think very differently from one another, but we all need to recognize those differences in each other before we can expect the rest of the world to give us some respect.

...that I could probably live anywhere in the world (for a certain period of time) and survive. Maybe not be the happiest or at my best, but I certainly could survive. If the WUJS program were an 8 month program, I'd still be a participant, and I'd probably be very happy. I'd still be going on field trips, I'd still be learning and volunteering, and I'd still be content here. If I was transplanted to another country, another city, English speaking or not (hey I've learned a new language and adapted fairly quickly), I'd probably survive. Have no fear NYers, I'm coming back and planning on being there for a while, but, it was nice to learn that although I didn't LOVE being away from my family and friends for so long, I missed a lot of things back home (including my birthday, my sister's birthday, and my dad's birthday, among other occasions) and there was a language barrier most days, I could do it. I DID do it.

...that I really enjoy traveling! Not like I didn't know this. I have gotten 2 more stamps on my passport since I arrived in Israel - one in Turkey (traveled in Istanbul for 4 days) and one in Jordan (went to Petra for a day). Tomorrow I leave for Europe to acquire at least one more. We'll see what the EU decides to do with my passport.

...that I enjoy taking pictures! I have always been the one back home to rely on other people bringing cameras to parties, nights out, events, housewarmings, birthdays, hangout nights, and trips. Because I wanted to share my experiences here with everyone back home, I decided that I would take TONS of pictures to share on Facebook (which I have done pretty well so far, I think!), so people back home could follow my every move. I think I'm now addicted to the camera. This is either really good...or could become very problematic!

...that I enjoy writing! Keeping this blog has been a great way for me to process my thoughts, through writing. I write what I would say if I were speaking it out loud. For the most part. So I don't think it's all that poetic, or articulate. But it's been a great outlet for me, and the compliments I've received on some of my blog posts has been very positive! Maybe I have a new career or hobby in store for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment