Monday, February 7, 2011

The Social Network (2/7)

I saw "The Social Network" tonight at the Jerusalem Cinemateque. I had to use up my one last "ticket" on my card there, since I bought en masse for the Eco Film Festival a few months ago and never used 'em all up. I wanted to see the film when it first came out but didn't prioritize it and ended up missing it. Thankfully, it was being played again today at 5:30 so I put it in my schedule and made it happen!

Some things I was surprised with:
How many people were in the theater - well over 100, maybe even 200. I thought I'd be one of very few people, because the movie is now "old" and even in the books as a 2010 movie. I know it's not SO long ago that it was 2010 but still.
The average age of the people who were watching were probably over 50 years old. When I first got to the theater and saw all of them waiting outside the same theater as me, I was shocked! I guess since the Cinemateque doesn't show the same film all that often, they heard about the craze of the movie and became interested like me, in making it happen.
The way the whole Facebook story went down. I knew some background from reading an article on the movie when it first came out. I know the film must be biased toward making Mark Zuckerberg look like a manipulator, but it sounds like this whole business deal went down in kind of a shady manner. I'm sure a lot of big businesses have plenty of shadiness going on. But, it just felt weird to come home and then log right back into Facebook, the "plague" that has taken our time from us (how many of us are addicted, literally, to checking Facebook? We are all slaves to it!), but has connected us with millions of people worldwide (so many benefits of staying in touch with friends!). How someone came up with this idea to begin with is beyond me. But glad I finally got to see the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment