Sunday, March 6, 2011

Fun in Florence (3/6)

Today will probably go down as one of my favorite on the trip. I had just about no itinerary so the day was completely mine! Adam also kind of had no itinerary. This morning before we checked out of our hotel to head to Venice, we decided to stay in Florence one more night, to ease the pressure on seeing everything here AND trying to head out to get to Venice in daylight, and also because prices are cheaper for tomorrow and the next night than tonight and tomorrow. Decision made!

Adam decided to use the morning to go for a run, so I took to the streets around 11am to head toward downtown Florence. First stop was the Duomo to see if it was open (the guidebook we have was a little unclear). Even though I did get to see the outside last night, it was even more spectacular to see in the daytime. It was closed at the time I was there but I found out it would be open at 1:30 for visitors (as Sunday is considered a festival/holiday). I was hoping just to kill some time until Adam met up with me to go see the David statue at the Accademia, so I popped in to a cute cafe looking right out at the Duomo (great scenery!) for a quick lunch. I took my time since I hadn't heard from him yet. I eventually realized that I was the one that needed to call him to check in, because his phone can't call mine. Yeah, a week into this trip and we STILL can't figure that out. I got a hold of him and found out that he was still on his run, but he had found a really cool overlook of the city that we hadn't heard of nor had planned on seeing, so that was a note to self to try and do later.

I finished lunch and began my journey toward the Tempio Ebraico - the Synagogue (and Museum) in Florence. As long as he was not meeting me to go to the Accademia, I would go to the synagogue on my own. I found it via directions on the map (proud of myself, of course) and paid the 3 Euro entry (student rate!) to see the synagogue and museum. I'm glad it wasn't much more than that because it didn't have all that much inside, but I did recognize a poster image inside that I think my parents have at their house. Museo Ebraico di Firenze - it just looked SO familiar. Unfortunately, no photos were allowed inside here either, as I had to check my bag and anything metal. So I just had to soak it all in while I was there. I walked through the museum mostly on my own, as most items in the museum had English explanation. A guide came through with an Italian speaking group, but offered to answer any questions I had, in English for me. I went down to the gift shop level and asked if I could actually go in and see the synagogue, and not wait for the next group to go, and the lovely clerk opened the door for me so I could go in. As always, and as expected, it was stunning! Decorations, columns, lights, bima, altar, pews, windows. I only stayed in there a couple of minutes because the clerk was waiting for me to lock the door again.

I took a quick meander through the gardens outside before heading out of the synagogue area, and stumbled upon - Ruth's Kosher Vegetarian Restaurant. Steven mentioned something about this to me a few days ago but it didn't register because I wasn't really planning on going to a kosher vegetarian restaurant with Adam, and I also didn't know it was named Ruth! If I did, I probably would have made it a priority to go. I also didn't realize until I was standing right outside of it, that it was the same place Zora went to when she was traveling, and she tagged me in the picture she took of the sign outside the restaurant. I was a little bummed about just discovering this place now, because it was perfect for lunch but I wasn't hungry. I had already eaten and couldn't justify having a second lunch. I just didn't have the appetite. So I went in to look at the menu anyway, totally impressed and wanted everything, of course, but settled on a cheese blintz with cinnamon, just as a small snack! I took it to go, and walked with it on the street until I got to the Accademia. Adam was going to meet me here from his day's adventures. We finally met up and he decided that he preferred not to go into the museum and continue on his day, so although we met up, it was only very briefly, and we split up again.

I went into the museum, mostly just to see the David statue, but also to see what else was in there. The tourbook said you might need a reservation to get in, so I was a little nervous about getting a ticket. There was absolutely no need to worry; I walked right in, waited a few minutes in the ticket line, made my purchase, and walked into the museum! The first statue I saw was called "The Rape of the Sabine Women" (which I found out really means abduction, not what we consider rape), and when I attempted to take a picture, some woman came out and said very loudly, "No Photo!" OK, I guess no photos allowed in this museum! Bummer because I was hoping to take some photos of the David once I saw that one. I'll just have to soak this one in too!

I turned the corner and saw the David - it was huge, and majestic, and just breathtaking. It was perfect. It literally took my breath away. You know how sometimes people just write or say - it was breathtaking. I think I stopped breathing for a moment. It was fairly quiet in the room, and no one was taking pictures. People were just looking, admiring, staring, analyzing. I fell right into doing the same. I took a seat on a bench behind the statue to open up the tour book and see what I could read about it, while I was standing right there. It was also nice to sit for a few minutes and rest my back. I finally got up and on my way, but there was really nothing else there I wanted to truly see, so I quickly meandered through the other rooms and other halls, and back to the David for one last glance before I departed the museum. I knew that there were David replicas in 2 places in the city, one of which that was not very far away. On the way, I knew I could stop at the Duomo and finally get in to see the cathedral, which was also beautiful, with its gothic style looking ceiling. I don't actually know if it's gothic but it looked like it! My next stop was the square that I knew had the David replica - Palazza Vecchio. Turns out, it was actually my first stop of the day but I didn't really notice it. So when I went back, I took some more detailed photos of the David and the other statues there, including the Rape of the Sabines. Replicas outside are the only ones you can take pictures of in this city!

My next stop was to try and see an overlook of the city of Florence from the south of the river. I crossed the Ponte Vecchio - the busiest bridge in the city, lined with gold and silver shops selling jewelry, among other stores. It was so crowded and so busy, but I finally made my way across. Palazzo Pitti was a good start and on my way to the Boboli Gardens that was recommended. When I got there, the ticket booth had tickets for 10 Euro a pop! I didn't really think it was necessary to charge people that much money to go spend time in nature, so I took a VERY scenic route back to the Piazzale Michelangelo Adam told me about earlier, that I wanted to see. I ended up going past the Belvedere Fort, and walked much farther than I had planned, got a little list, but finally ended up in the right place. Along the way, I captured some photos of the sun glistening on the buildings, on the river, on the tops of cathedrals. The trees held some of the sun's colors - reds and oranges. It was a long walk but well worth the views. I finally got to the right piazza and the view was absolutely perfect, overlooking the entire city. I even asked a stranger to take my picture in front of the view. Proof that I was there, myself!

I walked down the steep hill to get back down to the river, crossed one of the bridges, on my way back to Ruth's restaurant. I just had to go there. And it was finally approaching dinnertime. Adam met me there for a quick bite, I stayed a bit longer to enjoy the relaxing meal, and the fact that I was finally sitting after so many miles of walking. I took a cab back to the hotel (there was no way I was walking back after all that I did today) to relax for the rest of the night. I even skyped with mom and dad!

Once I was back at the hotel, I used google map pedometers to figure out how much walking I did today - 10 miles! Not too shabby. Maybe I've worked off some of the pasta and cream I've been eating in this country!

No comments:

Post a Comment