Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Siyur to the Security Fence (1/11)

WUJS wants us to see the full picture. Well, WUJS wants us to see a full a picture as they can show us. Today our siyur was supposed to be to the Security Fence and to East Jerusalem to better understand the conflict in this city. Well, there was some violence recently in Sheikh Al Jarrah, the neighborhood we were going to visit, due to some recent politics, so that part of the siyur was cancelled. We did go to Gilo, which is considered East Jerusalem (even though geographically it is south!) to view the barrier. Neil Lazarus (who runs seminars and who I actually heard for the first time 7 years ago when I was a student on Birthright), was our "tour guide" and lecturer for the day. He ended up giving us a presentation in our classroom downstairs, in lieu of being able to go to Sheikh Al Jarrah.

I've seen the barrier. I've seen the fence. I've seen the wall. I saw it 7 years ago when I was here for the first time. I've seen it a few times since then, on Birthright trips and being here in WUJS. It is so controversial for so many reasons. Abroad, people say it violates human rights because it limits the mobility of the Palestinians who live on the West Bank side of it. Internally, Israelis say it has dramatically reduced the number of suicide bombers and terrorists coming into the Israeli side of the barrier, and therefore it is necessary. So who's right? Is there a right side? And clearly, I'm referring to right as correct, not right as a political view. I think I've made up my mind that supports the Israelis view. Suicide bomber after suicide bomber means one side gets punished (limited mobility) in order to save the innocent civilians who were being murdered. Do I sympathize with those who just wish to visit family, or go to work, or pick up their kids from school? Sure. But I think the few ruined it for the many, and it's time for the many to stand up to their so-called government, and make their plight a reality. Grass roots is how it is done, and I believe it is something that can be accomplished by the Palestinians, if they truly want independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment