Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Keramika Klass Part 2 (11/24)

Ceramics class #2 - check!

Miles taught us how to make coil pots tonight, and we had the option to make anything that would hold ice cream, among other things. I made what will hopefully turn into a mug, which I started calling my hot chocolate mug, but really if it comes out ok, it can be used as an anything mug - hot chocolate, tea, and even ice cream, or my favorite - CEREAL!

Today we made the coil pots, they will dry out over the next week, Miles will take them to the kiln (where clay is baked) and in 2 weeks, we will be painting or glazing them. Then he will take them back to the kiln for the colors to set in, and the week after, we will enjoy our ice cream together.

Ceramics has been very therapeutic for all of us who have gone, I believe. Miles is an art therapist so some of the tactics he uses must come from that mindset. Something about getting your hands dirty, relaxing, having a lot of time and creative juices flowing, is very therapeutic. So no complaints from me. And hopefully a nice actual tangible object to come out of this in the end.

Oh yeah and remember that converse-esque shoe I made last week? Well I left it for Miles and we'll see how much of it stays together versus falls apart (versus what already fell apart) and how it turns out after going in the kiln. It's a good thing I don't care all that much about it and I'm going with the flow because I don't have much of an option otherwise!

No comments:

Post a Comment