Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Day of Mitzvahs (11/3)

Goal of today: volunteer at a soup kitchen, Carmei Ha'ir. They operate similarly to a restaurant - all the "customers" come in and take a seat, and although they don't place a specific order, they are served the meal of the day (soup, vegetable, carbohydrate, and meat/fish) or if requested, only certain items (pasta and fish, just soup, etc). The "staff" or volunteers like me, clean the place settings after they leave, and set out new ones. Those who can leave money or anything else, are invited to do so, but no one checks to see who leaves something and who doesn't. To each his own. I was really excited to come and check this out and see what would happen. The good news is, the mission was very successful.

I arrived at the soup kitchen this morning a few minutes after 10am, as my understanding was they are open from 10-2. I asked for Oren, the volunteer coordinator, but was told he was not in yet. They invited me in to wait, so I sat down and read a chapter or two in my book, and before I knew it, Oren arrived. He told me that they really start serving food at about noon, so I should come back. I took a walk down Yaffo street, knowing I could pop into a number of cafes at any moment, for a tea or another hot beverage, and read my book. I ended up stopping at a small park I found, sat down on a bench, and read for about an hour. I could smell the pizza coming from a nearby restaurant, and just had to get a slice. I closed up my book, put it in my backpack, and walked into Big Apple Pizza. I ordered in Hebrew, and even had a short conversation in Hebrew with the clerk. I was so proud of myself! I used a new Hebrew word/term I learned on Monday in ulpan, so way to go Ruthie!

After I finished my slice, I started walking back to Carmei Ha'ir to check in. I saw a mother trying to get her baby's stroller up a few stairs so she could enter a store. She was struggling and tried one way and tried another way. I saw her as I approached and just reached my hand down to help her lift the stroller. Haven't even served a meal yet and already, Mitzvah #1 - check.

It was 11:45am, I walked my bag and sweatshirt up to the office, and immediately got to work. Soup at each place setting, pita bread in a basket on each table. The crowds would be coming at 12 sharp, according to the other staff and volunteers there. From what I could tell, it was mostly staff, except Yosef (or maybe Yossi) who is also a volunteer, from California, and here for 6 weeks this time around, but seems to visit quite frequently. They were more than happy to have me, either because it was an extra set of hands, they welcome volunteers in this way all the time, or I'm a chick! They are all dudes there, so maybe chicks are underrepresented. Regardless of why they were happy to have me, I was happy to be there.

Today's menu: vegetable soup, pasta in tomato sauce, koobeh (an Iraqi meat dish), mixed vegetables, and fish. Water on tap to keep it simple, and the food is served until the food runeth out.

I did everything from serving plates to clearing plates to bringing someone just fish if he or she wanted it, refilling pitchers, bringing more bread, wiping down tables, throwing away garbage, and of course observing the intricacies of the place from start to finish. I couldn't even put a single label on the type of person who came in for lunch. Some looked like they were rushing in from work, some looked like they were musicians, some were elderly with missing teeth, some were religious with kipahs (head coverings), some were completely secular. They were all so grateful to have a hot meal. Some asked if they could take their food to go, or extra food to go. Some brought bags or containers or tupperware to take certain items home - for family members or for themselves for later, who knows? Although some folks did not finish all that was on their plates (and therefore it was thrown away, that kind of made me sad), others did not want to waste and took the extra home with them.

From 12-12:30 it was very busy and very crowded and we were turning over seats and tables very quickly. No one is rushed out; each person comes in on his or her own time and stays as long or as short as necessary. Strangers sit together if that is the only option; some dine as groups or friends. It's loud because of chairs moving, and people talking to each other, and the kitchen serving food and trying to clean silverware as quickly as it comes in. Ofer seems to run the cleaning portion of the show back there, and speaks English really well. Apparently he lived in NYC for 4 years, so I'm sure that helped. He is taking me under his wing to make sure I know what to do, where everything goes, and that I don't screw up. As the crowd died down, the others working began to clear tables fully, wipe them down and put the chairs upside down on them so we could prepare to clean the floor. Once most people were out, we started washing the floors. Since I told them when I first walked in, "put me to work" they really did put me to work! I had a broom scrubbing and a squeegee to push the dirty water into the drain on the floor of the kitchen. Good workout and good times.

One lady who came in close to 1pm (they close at 1:30 officially so it was closer to the end of the craziness) left some herbs in a cup of water, on the table that any donations are collected. That was what she could leave, and so she did. They look pretty and smell wonderful. I hope I see them next week when I go back. I'll be back :)

Volunteering at a soup kitchen - Mitzvah #2 - check.

Since my schedule got a bit turned around today, I ended up not having afternoon obligations, so instead of taking the bus back, I decided to save myself the bus fare AND do something healthy - walk home. It's not a crazy far walk but it's about 4 kilometers, which is 2.5 miles. I took a few detours - one through a park I walk past a lot but have never been in. It was nice to see new scenery. I also made a pit stop at the Fuchsberg Center for Conservative Judaism. I pass it a lot as well during my walks around this city, and have never been in there. I figured since I wasn't in a rush today, it would be a good time to see what programs they have to offer for non Conservative Yeshiva students. It took a while to find the right office, but when I did, the lady in the pink t-shirt was friendly and helpful, and gave me some sheets of paper that listed lectures and classes and other ongoings at Fuchsberg. More to add to my busy schedule in Jerusalem.

When I was about 20 minutes from home, I saw 2 women and a man looking all over the sidewalk for something. Turns out they are all speaking English, so hey, I guess it's time for me to help! She says that some beads from the zipper of her bag fell off and they are red and green and black. I lean down to find one and gave it back to her. She was upset that she couldn't find the others, but was just ready to give up; I think she had been searching for a few minutes. One of the women had already left. The man was still there and he and I somehow found the last 2 beads of her bag by the curb of the street. She was so happy and thanked us many times. Glad I could make her day. I'm on a roll. Mitzvah #3 - check.

No comments:

Post a Comment