Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Summer Firsts

Last summer at Echo Lake brought me many firsts, despite it being my 6th time on staff for the 4n4 trip across the west.  I even used that as the basis of my "Trail" article, summing up the summer and our trip through funny memories of things that were "firsts" for me.  (The list included the first time our group ever spent half the day in Newark airport on our way out west, as well as the first time we had a "Johnny Depp" sighting, starring a co-counselor who played it off really well, in Las Vegas.)

Seeing as this is my first summer I am ever spending in NYC, there are also a number of "firsts" I have already had here, and will continue to have.   Monday night was one of them.  I met up with a few friends to go see "The Wizard of Oz" in Bryant Park, as a part of their free movies series over the summer.

And it - was - fabulous!

The line was longer and way more intimidating than it actually was, and once I was IN the line, it moved quickly and I found out it was only to inspect bags, not to do headcounts or kick anyone out.  Our group all met up by about 7pm on the grass and we had great seats to see the screen (although I really think anywhere in the park provides a great seat to see the screen because of how they set up the screen and that they prohibit anyone bringing tables or chairs to use in the park; everyone is sitting or lying on the ground.

We all brought something to eat - snacks and/or dinner, and we enjoyed the nice warm summer breeze and chit-chat while hanging out and waiting for the movie to start.  It was casual and comfortable (I was smart enough to bring my crazy creek so I had a back to my seat - it was delightful!).  The wait was getting to be a little annoying, since we were in the park around 6:30pm and the movie was not scheduled to start until 9pm.  So we were a little antsy and at a few points I thought I'd leave before the movie even started, and that my being in the park and chatting with some friends was fun enough a night for me.

Eventually, as the sun went down, the big lights went off, I stayed put, and the movie started!  Everyone stood up at the HBO beginning (apparently a tradition, to "fly" through the lights) and the main feature was presented!  At some points, it was more like a sing-a-long in the park than a movie in the park!  With such familiar songs, many in the park joined Judy Garland at multiple points during the movie.  People applauded as little Toto jumped from the Wicked Witch's basket and ran to safety.  It was hilarious, but I got into it by the end and was also singing, clapping, laughing, and enjoying.

I'm glad I went and I think I will probably go again in 2 weeks (for Roman Holiday - anyone is welcome to join me!).  The only negative thing I really have to say is that there was one girl who continued to smoke cigarettes throughout the movie.  I was really close to saying something to her before the movie started, but realized that I would have had to step on a lot of people and/or their things to even get back to her, and I didn't want to shout my kind request across a group of people.  I should mention that not only is it rude to people around, but NYC passed a law not so long ago that it is illegal now to smoke in NYC parks.  Bryant Park is...drum roll please...a park!  So not only was she breaking the law, but also I thought she'd be a little more courteous to her neighbors and others nearby.  I guess it's too much to expect from someone who cares zero about their lungs and health, to care about others as well.

Next time, if this happens, there will be words, and I promise they will be nice.  I'm nice.  And so are my lungs.  I'd like to keep them that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment