Sunday, February 27, 2011

French, Hebrew, What? (2/27)

I realized after a full day in Paris, in France, a French speaking country, although I can get by with the very minimal French I know, and the amount of people who also understand English here, I still have a TON of Hebrew in my head! I have really gotten accustomed to asking for directions in Hebrew, ordering in restaurants and cafes in Hebrew, and just making small remarks like "nachon" (correct/right) or "betach" (of course/sure). Adam and Erik don't understand any Hebrew besides Shalom so it's hopeless for me to expect them to understand me. It just caught me by surprise that I had so much Hebrew in my head. I guess when I know it's not an English speaking country, my brain automatically switches into Hebrew to make sense of being in a foreign country.

I do have to say though, I was quite proud of myself for ordering a drink at Starbucks today (not for me, for Erik), completely in French! It wasn't until the order came correctly, that I was really proud of myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment