Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Women of the Wall Part Two (12/8)

Last month I went to the Women of the Wall service for Rosh Chodesh (the new month), and was so inspired. As usual, I wasn't inspired by prayer; I also wasn't inspired by being at the Western Wall. I was inspired by being a part of a group of people (both men and women) who believe in the equal right for women to pray and read from a Torah scroll at a site that, according to Jewish Halakha (law) forbids it.

I returned this month for another Rosh Chodesh service, to continue to be a part of something, a cause that I believe is worth fighting for. I wouldn't have my alarm set for 5:45am if I didn't. Fortunately, by the 6:00 hour, Jerusalem's city buses are running, so I was able to take a bus most of the way, instead of walking the entire way last time, worrying if I'd be late to the start of the service. I made it there with a few minutes to spare, joined the women at the back of the Kotel area, and started to sing with them. Only a few men were present on the men's side; far fewer women were even on the women's side. Small crowd, but it was Hanukkah and many schools in Israel are closed for the holiday, and many people take off from work or are on break from their programs.

Throughout the morning service (which includes Hallel/Praises, a part of the service I am very unfamiliar with), there were many women who were not a part of our group, who felt the need to publicly "shush" our group or scream/speak so loudly as to attempt to disrupt the group. Many of them were yelling things in Hebrew so I didn't fully understand them, but they were saying something along the lines of, "Be quiet, this is a disgrace!" or "It is because of you people that the Messiah isn't coming" and all sorts of wonderful things I love to hear at 7 in the morning. I think they are totally rude for interrupting one's prayertime. I also think it's none of their business. Haven't they ever heard "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all" - if not, then they should. It's just disrespectful at such a holy and meaningful site in this ancient city. The response I had to them in my head was, "And chag sameach (happy holiday) to you too!" with a big smile on my face. I only pictured it in my head, as I didn't want to start or cause any trouble with security while there. Besides those few interruptions, the service was really nice and calm and quiet, and I really enjoyed it! When the morning service was over, both the men and the women met outside the Kotel area on the plaza and walked over, with a Sefer Torah, to Robinson's Arch. This is done because the reading of the Sefer Torah on the women's side of the Kotel is illegal. Someone stands outside the Kotel, on the plaza, with the Sefer Torah, during each Rosh Chodesh morning service each month, and then we all walk together to the location of the Torah service.

The Torah was wrapped in a Women of the Wall tallit (prayer shawl), as it is Jewish custom to take the Torah out of the Ark, and then use it for the reading. Since there is no actual Ark at the Western Wall, this method of covering is sufficient.
These women rolled the scroll back to where it should have been (apparently someone had borrowed the Torah and didn't roll it back), for the Rosh Chodesh reading, which is the same each month. Both of them wear tallitot (prayer shawls) and one wears tefillin (philactories) on the head and on the arm.

After they rolled it back to the correct space, they invited certain people up to read from the Torah and to take an aliyah (which we usually translate as an honor, but relates to the Hebrew word for "to go up"). The entire Torah service takes probably less than 30 minutes, and is fairly scripted. Those involved know when to go up to the Torah, where to stand, and what to do. Educated women who are so committed to Judaism and love of Torah. It's such a shame that for so long they have to fight for this right which seems so natural. There are plenty of people in the world who could not care any less about being Jewish, or doing mitzvot/commandments, or celebrating our people's history with the reading of the Torah, and these dedicated women are not allowed to fully practice their beliefs and customs.

Despite my loathing of early mornings, I have vowed to myself to attend the 2 Rosh Chodesh services in January and February, so I can be a part of something I believe in. The prayer doesn't get me and neither does the Kotel. Maybe one day it will. But in the meantime, I am happy to stand shoulder to shoulder with like-minded people just hoping that someday women can be treated as equals in the Holyland.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. Something I should have pushed myself to take part in as well.

    ReplyDelete